Dr. Ann M. LUI
Ph.D. & M.Sc. in Brain, Behavior and Cognition (Northwestern); M.Phil. in Psychology (CUHK); B. Soc. Sc. in Psychology (CUHK)
- Associate Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Director of Centre for Child Development (CCD), Hong Kong Baptist University
- Director of the program of Postgraduate Diploma in Education, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Associate Director of Centre for Learning Sciences (CLS), Hong Kong Baptist University
- Honorary Assistant Professor, Faculty of Education, University of Hong Kong
- Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, National Central University, Taiwan
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Centre for Special Educational Needs & Inclusive Education, The Education University of Hong Kong
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Psychology, National University of Singapore
- Special Educational Needs
- Inclusive Education
- Learning Sciences
- Cognitive Psychology
- Social and Affective Neuroscience
(IF refers to 5-year Journal Citation Reports impact factor)
- Wong, Y. K., Tong, C. K. Y., Lui, M., & Wong, A. C. N. (2021). Perceptual expertise with Chinese characters predicts Chinese reading performance among Hong Kong Chinese children with developmental dyslexia. PLOS One, 16(1), e0243440. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0243440
- Lui, M.*, Li, X., Sommer, W., Hildebrandt, A., Lau, G. K, & Zhou, C.* (2020). Sex differences in behavioral and brain responses to incongruity in emotional speech controlling for autistic traits. Biological Psychology, 157, 107973. [SSCI; IF = 3.52, Q1 in Experimental Psychology] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0301051120301332
- Lui, M., Lau, G. K. B., Tam, V. C. W.*, Chiu, H. M., Li, S. S. C., & Sin, K. F. (2020). Parents’ impact on children’s school performance: marital satisfaction, parental involvement, and mental health. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 29, 1548-1560. [SSCI; IF = 2.11] https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10826-019-01655-7.pdf
- Zou, Y., Lui, M., & Tsang, Y. K. (2020). The roles of lexical tone and rime during Mandarin sentence comprehension: An event-related potential study. Neuropsychologia, 107578. [SCI; IF = 2.85] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0028393220302517
- Yang, L. J., Chiu, H. M., Sin, K. F., & Lui, M.* (2020). The effects of school support on school engagement with self-determination as a mediator in students with special needs. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education. (* corresponding author) [SSCI; IF = 1.07] https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8SS4VTPU5UT83NATWC9C/full?target=10.1080/1034912X.2020.1719046
- Lui, M.*, So, W. C., & Tsang, Y. K. (2018). Neural Evidence for Reduced Automaticity in Processing Emotional Prosody among Men with High Levels of Autistic Traits. Physiology & Behavior, 196, 47-58. [SSCI; IF = 2.85; rank 4/14 in Biological Psychology] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031938418306899
- Lui, M.*, Lui, K. F.H., Wong, A. C. N., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2018). Suppression of 12-Hz SSVEPs when Viewing Familiar Faces: An Electrophysiological Index to Detect Recognition. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 133, 159-168.[SSCI; IF = 3.17] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016787601830076X
- Lui, M.*, & Hsu, M. (2018). Viewing sexual images is associated with reduced physiological arousal response to gambling loss. PLoS ONE,13(4), e0195748. [SCIE; IF = 3.34] https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195748
- Lui, M.*, Yang, L., & Sin, K. F. (2017). Parents’ perspective of the impact of school practices on the functioning of students with special educational needs. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 1:20. [SSCI; IF = 1.07] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1034912X.2017.1315803
- Tsang, Y. K., Huang, J., Lui, M., Xue, M., Chan, Y. W. F., Wang, S., & Chen, H. C. (2017). MELD-SCH: A megastudy of lexical decision in simplified Chinese. Behavior Research Methods, 1-15. [SSCI; IF = 4.71; rank: 6/88, Q1 in Experimental Psychology] https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13428-017-0944-0
- Lui, M.*, Sin, K. F., Yang, L., Forlin, C., & Ho, F. C. (2015). Knowledge and perceived social norm predict parents’ attitudes towards inclusive education. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 19, 1052-1067. [SSCI; IF = 1.38] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13603116.2015.1037866
- So, W. C., Wong, M. K. Y., Lui, M., & Yip, V. (2015). The development of co-speech gesture and its semantic integration with speech in six- to 12-year-old children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism, 19, 956-968. [SSCI; IF = 4.72; rank: 10/74, Q1 in Developmental Psychology]
- So, W. C., Lui, M., Wong, T. K., & Sit, L. T. (2015).The use of hand gestures to communicate about nonpresent objects in mind among children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 58, 373-382. [SSCI; IF = 2.29, Q1 in Language and Linguistics] https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1362361314556783
- Yang, L., Sin, K. F., & Lui, M. (2015). Social, emotional, and academic functioning of children with SEN integrated in Hong Kong primary schools. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 24, 545-555. [SSCI; IF = .85]
- Yan, Z., Lum, C. W. R., Lui, T. L. R., Chu, S. W. S., & Lui, M. (2015). Measuring teaching assistants’ efficacy using Rasch model. Journal of Applied Measurement, 16(1), 60-75.
- Yang L., Sin K. F., Li X. Y., Guo, J. S. & Lui, M. (2014). Understanding the power of feedback in education: A validation study of the Feedback Orientation Scale (FOS) in Classrooms. The International Journal of Psychological and Educational Assessment (TIJEPA), 16 (2), 20-46.
- Lui. M., Penney, T. B., & Schirmer, A. (2011). Emotion effects on timing: Attention versus pacemaker accounts. PLoS One, 6(7), e21829. [SCIE; IF = 3.34] https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0021829
- Chen, J. C. W., Li, W., Lui, M., & Paller, K. A. (2009). Left-frontal brain potentials index conceptual implicit memory for words initially viewed subliminally. Brain Research, 1285, 135-147. [SCI; IF = 2.94]
- Lui, M.*, & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). The application of subliminal priming in lie detection: scenario for identification of members of a terrorist ring. Psychophysiology, 46, 889-903. [SCI; IF = 3.32; rank 17/77; Q1 in Psychology] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2009.00810.x
- Lui, M.*, & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). Thirty-Site P300 scalp distribution, amplitude variance across sites, and amplitude in detection of deception regarding concealment of multiple guilty items. Social Neuroscience, 4, 491-509. [SCI; IF = 4.35] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17470910802047964
- Lui, M.*, & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2008). Detection of deception about multiple, concealed, mock crime items, based on a spatial-temporal analysis of ERP amplitude and scalp distribution. Psychophysiology, 45, 721-730. [SCI; IF = 3.32; rank 17/77; Q1 in Psychology] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2008.00683.x
- Rosenfeld, J. P., Labkovsky, E., Winograd, M., Lui, M., Vandenboom, C., & Chedid, E. (2008). The Complex Trial Protocol (CTP): A novel, countermeasure-resistant, accurate P300-based method for detection of concealed information. Psychophysiology, 45, 603-617. [SCI; IF = 3.32; rank 17/77; Q1 in Psychology] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2008.00708.x
- Schirmer, A., Lui, M., Maess, B., Escoffier, N., Chan, M., & Penney, T. B. (2006). Task and sex modulate the brain response to emotional incongruity in Asian listeners. Emotion, 6, 406-417. [SCI; IF = 4.20; rank 17/88; Q1 in Experimental Psychology] https://pure.mpg.de/rest/items/item_726784/component/file_726783/content
- (PI) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $754,792. (2021-2023) Does executive function training modulate the effectiveness of self-determination intervention and postschool outcomes for adolescents with intellectual disability? An experimental intervention study.
- (PI) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $641,404. (2018-2021) Examining Affective Prosody Recognition among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and the Effectiveness of an Auditory Intervention using a Mobile App.
- (PI) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $600,000. (2016-2018) Decoding mental processes with electrophysiological measures: in search of an effective concealed information detection protocol. (PI)
- (Co-I Budget controller of $360,000) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $665,352. (2015-2017) Examining the pivotal factors of attitudes towards inclusive education among parents of children with and without special educational needs in a Chinese community: Hong Kong.
- (Co-I Budget controller of $ 1,803,800) UGC Funding Scheme for Teaching and Learning Related Proposals. HKD $ 5,689,600 (2017-19). Special Educational Needs Empowerment Project for Pre-service Teachers.
- (Co-I) Research and Development Projects, Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCHOLAR). HK$ 1,096,663.6 (2018-19). The use of perceptual training in a mobile application to improve Chinese reading performance in children with dyslexia.
- (PI) National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 676,000. (2010-2011). Examining the neural correlates of processing information related to love and hatred, and how these two types of information affect other cognitive processes. .
- (PI) National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 498,000. (2009-2010). An investigation on deception and decision making among fraud offenders and normal subjects with cognitive neuroscience techniques.
- (Co-I Budget controller of $450,000) Hong Kong Baptist University Interdisciplinary Research Clusters (IRCMs) HKD$ 2,994,600 (2019-2021). Interpretable machine learning aided understanding of complex brain and behavior: from typical individual differences to brain disorders.
- (Co-I Budget controller of $510,000) Hong Kong Baptist University Interdisciplinary Research Matching Scheme HKD $2,940,000. (2017-2019). A multimensional approach to examine the neural correlates of autistic traits in children, measured via EEG during resting states and social cognition tasks.
- (PI). National Central University, Taiwan. NTD $ 100,000. (2009-2010). On the role of emotional arousal on sex offender’s decision making and their interaction with opposite and same sex people.
- (Co-PI) National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $8000. (2008-2009). Memory performance among musicians and non-musicians.
- (Co-PI) National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $ 8000. (2007-2008). Temporal judgments in different emotional states.
- 冼權鋒、呂明合編（2020）：《共融服務學習指南》，香港，香港教育學院特殊學習需要與融合教育中心。ISBN 978-988-12369-6-8
- 張家偉、彭梓鳴、呂明、 冼權鋒(2019) 。在融合教育中實踐服務學習概念：個案示範，以新視窗打開《香港教師中心學報》，第十八卷， 1-13。 https://www.edb.org.hk/HKTC/download/journal/j18/A01.pdf
- EDUC 3007 Inclusive Education and Special Educational Needs
- EDUC 7250 Inclusive Education
- PSYC 3007 Cognitive Psychology
Postgraduate Diploma in Education:
- EDUC 7270 Professional Teacher Development II
Masters of Education:
- EDUC 7610 Data Analysis for Education
- EDUM 7400 Managing Learning Diversity in Inclusive Education Settings
- EDUM 7520 International Perspectives in Inclusive Education
Doctor of Education
- EDUD 7130 Issues in Child and Adolescent Development Research
- EDUD 7030 Development of Research Prospectus and Thesis
- Dec 2015 Learning & Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Jan 2011 National Tsing Hua University Neuroscience Club
- Apr 2010 National Cheng-Chi University Graduate Seminar
- Nov 2009 National Central University Frontier Symposium
- Nov 2009 Chung Shan Medical University Department of Psychology
- Apr 2009 Chinese University of Hong Kong Department of Psychology
- Mar 2009 Nanyang Technological University Division of Psychology
- Mar 2009 National Yang Ming University Institute of Neuroscience
- Mar 2009 National Central University Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Jul 2008 Baylor College of Medicine Human Neuroimaging Lab
- Jan 2006 Northwestern University Cognitive Psychology Group
- May 2006 Northwestern University Undergraduate course
Academic & Professional Experience (2011-present)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Information Learning Sciences (Emerald Publishing Journal) http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/editorial_team.htm?id=ils
- Reviewer Editor of Frontiers in Education
- Reviewer for journals including Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Asia Pacific Journal of Education, International Journal of Inclusive Education, Psychophysiology, Biological Psychology, PLoS One, Timing & Time Perception
- External reviewer of the Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-Financing Degree Sector of the RGC
- International Programme Committee for the International Conference on Computational Thinking Education 2017-present
- Programme Committee of the Learning and Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Ph.D. dissertation co-supervisor, master’s thesis supervisor and committee member