Dr. WONG, W Y Marina
Ph.D., University of British Columbia, Canada
M.Phil., Dip.Ed., B.A. (Hons), The Chinese University of Hong Kong
F.L.C.M (Singing), F.L.C.M. (Piano), London College of Music, U.K.
L.T.C.L. (Singing), L.T.C.L. (Piano), Trinity College of London, U.K.
Associate Professor, Director of Doctor of Education Program, and Course Coordinator of Subject Teaching (Music) of the Postgraduate Diploma of Education Program
Academic & Professional Experience
Associate Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
Assistant Registrar, Hong Kong Council for Academic Accreditation
Lecturer (Graduate), Department of Music, Sir Robert Black Campus, Hong Kong Institute of Education
- Music Education
- Teacher Education
- Curriculum Studies
- Special Education
- Inclusive Education
Dr. Marina Wong is an expert in music education and teacher education, emphasizing curriculum development. She has successfully gained awards of external grants for research and development on music curriculum for mainstream schools and special schools. Her work on developing an adapted music curriculum for students with intellectual disabilities is a pioneer work in music education. Her publications cover topics on “inclusive music education,” “music curriculum development,” “professional development for music teachers,” “assessment for learning in the school music curriculum,” and “integrated arts curriculum.” In addition, she is experienced in teaching a wide range of teacher education courses covering areas in “music teacher education,” “curriculum studies,” “philosophy of education,” “inclusive education,” and “qualitative data analysis.”
External Grant Projects
General Research Fund projects:
Principal Investigator, An exploratory study of special schools music teachers’ perceptions and classroom practices of creativity in music education for students with intellectual disabilities, 2-year research (2017-2019). Completed.
Principal Investigator, An exploratory study of primary music teachers’ concerns about inclusive music teaching, a 3-year research project (2012-2015). Completed.
Quality Education Fund project:
Principal Investigator, School-based adapted music curriculum and professional programs for special schools for children with intellectual disabilities, 3-year project (11/2018-1/2022). In progress.
Music Curriculum Development Projects:
Funded by the Education Bureau, Hong Kong SAR
- Principal Investigator, Professional support service on developing learning and teaching strategies in the Adapted Music Curriculum (Primary 1 – Secondary 3) for Students with Intellectual Disabilities, funded by the Education Bureau (2017-2018).
- Principal Investigator, “Adapted Music Curriculum Framework (Primary 1 – Secondary 3) for Students with Intellectual Disabilities”, funded by the Education Bureau (2016-2017). http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en/curriculum-development/major-level-of-edu/special-educational-needs/basic-edu-curriculum/BE_Music_Learning%20Objectives_Music%20Curriculum%20(P1-S3)_draft.pdf
- Principal Investigator, “The Adapted Music Curriculum Framework under the Senior Secondary Curriculum for Students with Intellectual Disabilities,” Education Bureau (2012). https://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/tc/curriculum-development/major-level-of-edu/special-educational-needs/ssc/NSS_MU_CA_Guide_2012.pdf
Funded by the Education and Youth Development Bureau, Macao SAR
- Principal Investigator, Music Curriculum Guide for Senior Secondary Schools in Macau, funded by the Education and Youth Affairs Bureau of Macau SAR (2017). http://www.dsej.gov.mo/crdc/guide/data/senior/Music_guide_c.pdf
- Principal Investigator, Music Curriculum for Junior Secondary Schools in Macau, funded by the Government of Macau SAR(2015). http://www.dsej.gov.mo/crdc/guide/data/junior/Music_guide_c.pdf
- Newspaper report by Jornal Tribuna de Macau on August 16, 2018
- Member, Accreditation exercise for Learning Programme Accreditation for Bachelor degree in Early Childhood Studies (2021).
- Member, Accreditation exercise for Learning Programme Re-Accreditation for Diploma in Early Childhood Studies (2021).
- Member, Assessment Working Group and Assessment Panel of Arts Education Key Learning Area, the Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (2021/2022).
- Member, Consultation on Kindergarten Resource Centre Core Group, Education Bureau (2020).
- Member, Curriculum Development Council Committee on Special Educational Needs (2013 – 2019)
- Member, Curriculum Development Council — HK Examinations and Assessment Authority Committee on Music (2013 – 2019)
- Advisor, “Pilot Project on the Development of Learning Outcomes Frameworks in Music,” Education Bureau.
- Member, Accreditation exercise for Learning Programme Accreditation for Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Childhood Education (2019).
- Member, Accreditation exercise for Higher Diploma in Early Childhood Education (Inclusive Education) HKCT Institute of Higher Education (2017).
- Member, Assessment Panel on Arts Education Key Learning Area, Hong Kong Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (2016-2017).
- Chair, Assessment Panel on Arts Education Key Learning Area, Hong Kong Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (2011-2012).
- Member, Assessment Panel on the Arts Education Key Learning Area of the Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (2006-2007)
- Member, Ad Hoc Committee on the Production of Music Curriculum Guide (2000-2003)
- External Examiner, The Education University of Hong Kong.
- External Examiner, Open University of Hong Kong.
- Examiner, Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority.
- Examiner, Hong Kong Arts Development Council.
- Member, Bachelor of Music Program Revalidation Panel of Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- Member, Music Textbook Review Panel (Secondary), Textbook Committee, Education Bureau.
- External School Reviewer, Quality Assurance Section, Education Bureau
- Subject Specialist, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation Academic and Vocational Qualifications
- External Assessor, Quality Education Fund
- Member, International Editorial Board of the International Journal of Music Education
- A reviewer of the following international peer-refereed academic journals:
- Cambridge Journal of Education (Cambridge)
- Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities (Wiley)
- International Journal of Inclusive Education (Taylor & Francis)
- Asia Pacific Journal of Education (Taylor & Francis)
- Educational Action Research (Routledge)
- Educational Assessment, Evaluation, and Accountability (Springer)
- European Journal of Teacher Education (Taylor & Francis)
- Journal of Curriculum Studies (Taylor & Francis)
- Journal of Teaching in International Business (Taylor & Francis)
- Reflective Practice (Taylor & Francis)
- Sage Open (Sage)
- Social Behavior and Personality International Journal (Publishing Technology)
- Teaching and Teacher Education (Elsevier)
- Wong, M. W. (2021). The ecology for fostering the musical creativity of students with intellectual disabilities. International Journal of Music Education. DOI: 10.1177/02557614211031255.
- Wong, M. W. (2021). Fostering musical creativity of students with intellectual disabilities: Strategies, gamification, and re-framing creativity. Music Education Research, 23(1): 1-13. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2020.1862777.
- Chan, E. S. S., Ho, S. K., Ip, F. F. L., & Wong, M. W. Y. (2020). Self-Efficacy, Work Engagement, and Job Satisfaction Among Teaching Assistants in Hong Kong’s Inclusive Education. SAGE Open. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244020941008
- Wong, M. W., S. E. Chan, & M. P. Chik. (2019). Primary music teachers’ efficacy in Hong Kong’s inclusive classrooms. Music Education Research, 21(5): 517-528. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2019.1670151
- Wong, M. W. (2018). Developing Macau’s junior secondary schools’ music curriculum. International Journal of Music Education, 36, 574-587. DOI: 10.1177/0255761418774907.
- J. Pow & Wong, M. (2017). Effect of workplace factors in professional teacher development on the implementation of small class teaching. Journal of Education and Training Studies, 5(8): 68-76. DOI: 10.11114/jets.v5i8.2441
- Wong, M. W., M. P. Chik, & S.E. Chan. (2017). Stressors and stressor response levels of Hong Kong Primary Schools Music Teachers. International Journal of Music Education, 36(1): 4-16. DOI: 10.1177/0255761417689923.
- Wong, M. W. (2016). Inclusive education in Hong Kong primary music classrooms. Arts Education Policy Review, 117(2): 130-140. DOI: 10.1080/10632913.2014.966286.
- Wong, M. W. (2016). Understanding the professional development needs of Hong Kong special school music teachers. International Journal of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning, 8(2): 1-19.
- Wong, M. W., M. P. Chik, & S.E. Chan. (2015). Measuring concerns of inclusive music teaching in Hong Kong: Scale development. Music Education Research, 18(3): 317-330. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2015.1049259.
- Wong, M. W., M. P. Chik. (2015). Teaching students with special educational needs in inclusive music classrooms: Experiences of music teachers in Hong Kong primary schools. Music Education Research, 18(2): 195-207. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2015.1044509.
- Wong, M. W., & M. P. Chik. (2015). Learned helplessness in the inclusive music classroom: Voices of Hong Kong primary school music teachers. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 19(9): 965-977. DOI: 10.1080/13603116.2015.1019374.
- Wong, M. W. (2015). Adapting the music curriculum for senior secondary students with intellectual disabilities in Hong Kong: Content, pedagogy, and mindsets. Music Education Research, 17(1): 71-87. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2014.906396.
- Wong, M. W. (2014). Assessment for Learning a decade on: Self-reported assessment practices of secondary school music teachers in Hong Kong. International Journal of Music Education, 32(1): 70-83.
- Klassen, R. M., Chapman, E., Siu, A. M. Wong, Hannok, W., & Wongsri. N. (2013). Pre-service’ work stress and occupational commitment of pre-service in four countries. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 28: 1289-1309.
- Wong, M. W. (2013). Developing Integrated Arts Curriculums in Hong Kong: Chaos Theory at work? Curriculum Inquiry, 43(2): 210-232.
- Wong, C. M., Blankenship, D. J. & Wong, M. W. (2013). Programmatic Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes in General Education: Best Practices, Resources, and Examples. Conference Proceedings of General Education and University Curriculum Reform: An International Conference in Hong Kong.
- Wong, M. W. (2012). Initiating Small Class Teaching in Hong Kong: video reflective narratives and the professional developmental learning model. Teacher Development, 16(4): 1-16.
- Klassen, R. M., Al-Dhafri, S., Mansfield, C. F., Purwanto, E., Siu, A., Wong, M. W., & Woods-McConney, A. (2012). Teachers’ engagement at work: An international validation study. The Journal of Experimental Education, 80(4): 1-20.
- Wong, M. W. (2012). Integrated Arts Curriculum in Hong Kong Secondary Schools. Arts Education Policy Review, 113: 1-6.
- Wong, M. W. (2011). Adapted action research as an instructional strategy in a music teacher education program in Hong Kong. Music Education Research, 13(1): 107-120.
- Wong, M. W. (2010). Music teacher education. In Penelope Peterson, Eva Baker, Barry McGraw, (Eds) International Encyclopedia of Education, 3rd Ed., Vol 7, pp. 706-711. Oxford: Elsevier.
- 王偉儀、簡梁以瑚 (2009)。《藝術的綜合學習：課程示例》。香港：教育統籌局。[(with E. Liang) A Collection of Exemplars of “Integrated Learning of the Arts”. Hong Kong: Education Bureau.] (ISBN: 978962896777-3)
- Forrestor, V. & Wong, M. W. (2008). Formative assessment in the Hong Kong primary classroom: what gives? Music Education Research, 10(3): 271-284.
- Wong, M. W. (2008). Choosing to teach music: Reflections of elementary music teachers in Vancouver and Hong Kong. Asian Social Science, 4(2): 45-53.
- Wong, M. W. (2007). ‘Assessment for learning’ and teacher development: The experience of three Hong Kong teachers. Teacher Development, 11(3): 295-312.
- Young, S. S. Y., & Wong, M. W. (2007). Applying Self-referenced Formative Assessment to Music Listening. Asia-Pacific Journal for Arts Education, 5(1) (2007): 3-22.
- Wong, M. W. (2005). A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Teachers’ Expressed Beliefs about Music Education and their Practices in Classroom Music Teaching. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 11(4): 397-418.
- 王偉儀 (2004)。《音樂科促進學習的評估示例匯編》。香港：教育統籌局。共74頁。[A Collection of Exemplars of “Assessment for Learning”: Music. Hong Kong: Education Bureau. 74 pages.] (ISBN: 962881411-7)。
- 王偉儀、梁以瑚) (2004)。《視覺藝術科促進學習的評估示例匯編》。香港：教育統籌局。共47頁。[(with E. Liang) A Collection of Exemplars of “Assessment for Learning”: Visual Art. Hong Kong: Education Bureau. 47 pages.] (ISBN: 962881410-9)。
- Wong, M. W. (2002). “Music lessons in the elementary schools of Vancouver and Hong Kong: content and pedagogy” Asia-Pacific Journal for Arts Education 1(1): 27-41.
- Wong, M. W. (2001). “Musical beliefs in Western and Chinese civilizations” Curriculum and Teaching, 16(1): 87-103.